MINISTERIAL DEPARTMENT OF JAMAICA UNION CONFERENCE
“A man can have no greater honour than to be accepted by God as an able minister of the gospel” – The Acts of the Apostle, p. 328
The Objectives of the Ministerial Department of Jamaica Union Conference are:
- To establish a broad-based Ministerial evaluation system for pastors in the Jamaica Union focusing on qualitative and quantitative church growth.
- To train all ministerial intern supervisors through seminars and workshops, thereby giving Interns a better understanding of their spiritual and pastoral roles in ministry.
- To equip all Ministerial Secretaries and Shepherdess Coordinators with the requisite tools to effectively fulfil their respective functions.
- To provide guidance in the training of prospective pastors through the Board of Ministerial and Theological Education (BMTE).
- To assist in preparing individuals for lifelong service to the gospel ministry through ordination
- To assist all pastors and their families in their continued personal and professional growth and development
- To equip elders, deacons and deaconesses to effectively carry out their roles in the local churches, thereby improving the quality of service to our members.
- To nurture and support a group of highly competent, consecrated and effective pastors who passionately advance the mission of Christ.
The Department focuses on four distinct groups of individuals:
- Seventh-day Adventist pastors
- Seventh-day Adventist pastoral spouses and families
- Seventh-day Adventist local church elders, deacons, and deaconesses
- Pastors of other denominations
The specific areas of emphasis include:
- Fostering collegiality with, nurture of, and advocacy for pastors
- Emphasizing encouragement and nurture of pastoral spouses and families
- Prioritizing evangelism and discipleship
- Developing field-based continuing education
- Enhancing classroom-based training for ministerial students
- Training local church elders, deacons and deaconesses
- Sourcing Ministry Magazine, The Shepherdess Journal, and Elder’s Digest
- Producing other resources that enhance ministerial expertise
- Expanding interfaith fellowship with clergy of all denominations